Swan Oyster Depot and the Fillmore
The Chron has been doing a dining tour of SF. They have divided the city into 49 square blocks. This week they are doing Block #11 which is from Polk to Fillmore. This is a fun read so check it out…..
Swan was opened in 1903 by the Laustens, an immigrant Danish family. Just three years later, the entire area was dynamited to help stop the spread of fire during the aftermath of the 1906 earthquake. One of the Lausten brothers drove a horse and wagon to Oakland, purchased flour and water, then set up a stand in Golden Gate Park. These much-needed provisions were given away with a sign that read, “Free flour and water from Swan Oyster Depot. Remember us.”